Thursday, March 7, 2013

{Chair Makeover}

Hey, y'all!  I love finding treasures at the thrift store.  During the summer, I found two chairs for $5.  Chairs are so much fun to revamp because the paint and fabric combinations are endless, so I had to snatch them up before someone else did.
When I found the chairs, they looked like this.
With thrift store chairs, you have to look past the condition of the fabric or the finish of the wood and focus on the lines and little details of the pieces.  I knew these could become something gorgeous.
I began by removing the cushions from the chairs.  I then wiped them down and primed them with Kilz spray primer.  I let the primer dry for the required time and then lightly sanded the chairs with 220 grit sandpaper.  (Sometimes Kilz primer can leave a bit of a gritty feel, so the sandpaper will get rid of that and give you a smooth surface for your final coat.)  I wiped off the primer dust and sprayed the chair with a few coats of a gray Krylon spray paint, and, of course, I distressed the chairs when the paint was dry.  My last step for the painted part of the chairs was giving them a coat of Polycrylic.  Then I had to revamp the cushions.
I removed the old fabric from the cushions and replaced it with a new chevron fabric I found at Hobby Lobby.  (Often when reupholstering, I will either replace the foam or at least cover with a layer of batting.  I did both on this bench; however, I didn't have a big enough piece of batting when I was redoing these.  The foam was in pretty good shape, though.)  I sprayed the recovered cushions with Scotch-gard, and my chairs were complete!
I love how the chairs turned out!
These would look so great paired with turquoise or yellow or coral...I could go on and on!  Now I just have to find somewhere to put them.  :)

14 comments:

  1. If you want, you can put one in my craft room please. :) Or sell 'em on Craigslist! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can put them in my house! ;) So lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Thanks for sharing on Do Something Crafty Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super make over!!!! Deciding between stripes and chevron for a chair I'm recovering? Pinned:)
    http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/03/brilliant-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from chic and crafty. This is awesome. You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the new look of your chair...so many people throw those kind of chairs out and have no clue how awesome they can be with a little makeover!!

    Great job and thanks for sharing! New follower!

    ~ Darlene @
    www.MyHoneyBunch.CO

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fantastic! Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your new chairs! They really turned out great, I have a similar set and want to refinish them. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are such a great find! I would normally pass over chairs like that, but they fantastic now! I would love if you would come share this over at our blog hop http://www.ablossominglife.com/2013/03/frugal-crafty-home-blog-hop-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! You have such a great eye! I'm sure you'll find the perfect spot for them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Bethany

    I love your new chairs. They are just beautiful!!! Great fabric too.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharing on FB tomorrow! Thanks for joining us at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bethany!
    I love the color and fabric you chose for this makeover! So pretty. Thanks for linking up at Transformed Tuesday this week.

    Hugs,
    Peggy~PJH Designs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)