Tuesday, March 19, 2013

{End Table Makeover}

Hey, y'all!  Today I have a little table makeover to share with you.  
A coworker of mine bought a small table from a yard sale a while back, and she recently asked me to transform it.  She picked out a spray paint color and brought the table to school for me to take home and makeover.  Here it is before...
I started the makeover by filling in a few dings and dints with wood filler.
With the drawer front, I did two layers of wood filler to make sure the groove caused by the old handle was no longer visible.  Then it was time for priming.
When I started to prime the table, I didn't have a new back piece to replace the torn one.  If I would have, I would have attached it before priming, but since I didn't, I went ahead and sprayed the piece with Kilz spray primer.  After giving the primer time to dry, I sanded it with 220 grit sand paper and gave it a few coats of the blue my coworker picked out: Valspar's Tropical Oasis.  My dad cut a new back for the table from thin plywood.  After priming and spraying it, I attached it to the piece with small nails.  I then distressed the edges of the piece with sandpaper and gave the entire table a coat of Polycrylic to seal it.  After that, the makeover was complete!
I added a knob I bought at Michaels as the crowning jewel of this little table.
The blue was the perfect transformative color.
This little table looks so much better than before!  My coworker loves it, and I love how spray paint can transform an ordinary piece of furniture into something special.  What have you used spray paint to transform lately?

9 comments:

  1. Very cute! Oh, and I love those brass birds. I'm currently working on an outdoor bistro set. I'm pretty sure I've lost a billion brain cells to paint stripper, spray paint and possible lead poisoning. I then took the seat cushions off and saw the wood seat bases have possible mold. I told my husband that asbestos would make this project the worst thing to ever breathe in. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Bethany

    This turned out great. I love the color is happy. : ) You rock.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have such fun redos! This turned out great! I LOVE the blue color! Love to have you share this at my party!

    http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2013/03/homemade-by-you-43.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so ridiculously creative! Can you please come over and decorate my house? :) Thanks for pointing out I was a no reply blogger...I fixed that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure transformed that cute little night stand/table. The blue is very pretty and springy. Good idea using the Kilz first. You do a great job.
    I have a big frame I decoupaged napkins to but now don't use it for what I started out to. Don't want to have to try to peel the paper off the frame so thought I'd spray paint the frame as it is, maybe the napkins on it will give it some rough texture. Will hang things inside the frame on the wall. Seeing the table inspired me to give it a try. Happy Days

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so good! I love the colour! I am quite new to painting furniture. I have painted two pieces light blue and two pieces light pink. I might have to buy a more daring colour next time :P I also think your styling looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything about this - especially the color! I have a table I want to refinish, but I'm always way too nervous to bite the bullet. All the great posts I see definitely give me a little motivation to just give it a try.

    I'd be thrilled if you'd link up at this week's Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm still trying to figure out how you manage to make everything look so easy and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bethany!
    Newest GFC follower here from the Creative Bloggers Collective FB page!
    C U soon,
    MammaNene

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)