Tuesday, January 29, 2013

{$ Store Desk Accessory}

Hey, y'all!  Today I have a dollar store craft for you.  Don't you love those?  I know I do.  I visit the dollar store and walk slowly through the aisles hunting for just the right items to repurpose or refashion.  While doing exactly this, I found a nice glass candle holder that I knew I could do something with.  This is what I came up with.
To make your own dollar store desk accessory, you will need these items:
  • dollar store candle holder
  • Martha Stewart craft paint
  • vinyl or contact paper stencil
  • pouncer or stencil brush
  • oven
First, wipe your candle holder with rubbing alcohol.
The alcohol will remove any residue on the glass and will help your paint stick better.  Then you need to apply your stencil.  I made my stencil with my Silhouette using contact paper. 
 When you're satisfied with your stencil placement, start painting.  Make sure you use thin coats to keep the paint from seeping under the stencil. 
I used the pouncer to apply the dark pink color to the glass.   When my dark pink paint dried, I applied a coat of glitter paint over the top of it.  Before your last coat of paint is dry, carefully remove the stencil.  If some of the paint happens to peel off, carefully touch it up with a brush.  
After your paint dries an hour, you MUST bake the painted glass in the oven unless you want to wait 21 days for the paint to dry.  
Just put the painted glass in a cool oven, set the temperature to 350 degrees, and set a timer for 30 minutes.  When the timer goes off, turn the oven off and let the glass cool in the oven.  When it cools, your piece is complete.
I made this piece to hold all my paper clips and binder clips on my desk at school.
But, as you can see, it could easily hold pencils, pens, and paint brushes too.
The stenciled glasses make the candle-holder-turned-desk-accessory quirky and fun.  And, of course, I love the pink!  What would you put in your own dollar store desk accessory?  Or would you even use it for your desk?
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Cute, love the sparkle! It's just so hard to find vinyl stencils here in Germany. I guess this is something our craft stores still need to catch up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute. I'm so obsessed with looking for new things at Dollar Tree. I'm pretty sure they think I'm crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your step-by-step directions. Very cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How adorable. The possibilities are endless. Great tutorial and tips. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO cute! Love the little glasses :) You're so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tons of possibilities with this, plus great for gifting :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Bethany

    SO many cute stuff to buy at the dollar store. I love this project.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. So darn cute, kind of reminds me of the glasses I wore when I was young, ha ha! So many possibilities one could come up with. Thanks for the step by step directions!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)