Friday, July 20, 2012

{Wooden Disc Mod Podged Necklace}


I love making handmade gifts for people.  I feel like they show a little bit of extra love to the recipient.  Also, you can make a gift that looks expensive for only a few dollars.  What's not to love about that?!  Recently, I needed a gift for a beautiful young girl, so I decided to make her a personalized necklace.


I started with some really inexpensive supplies.


If you want to make one you'll need these supplies:
  • Wooden discs from the craft store to create your pendant
  • Metal chain, jump rings, and findings to create the necklace
  • Scrapbook paper for the background of your pendant
  • Stickers for the initial
  • Mod Podge (Regular and Dimensional Magic)
  • A drill to make holes in the pendant
First, I created a paper template of one of the wooden discs.  I folded the paper circle in half several times to create evenly spaced folds in the paper.  I measured from the edge of the circle about an eighth of an inch and placed a pencil dot on two of the folds.


I used the pencil lead to make a hole in the paper where my dots were.  Then I placed the template over the wooden disc and penciled the dots on the wooden disc.  I used a small drill bit to drill holes through the disc.  I then traced the disc on scrapbook paper and cut out the circle.


I Mod Podged the paper to the disc.  I had a little bit of paper overhang, so I used some fine grit sandpaper to get rid of the extra paper.  When the disc dried, I put a coat of Mod Podge over the top of the paper.  (At this point, you can cover the back and edges with Mod Podge as well if you don't plan on painting the disc.)  I then drilled through the holes to make holes in the paper as well.  I probably could have Mod Podged the disc and then drilled holes through the entire piece, but I didn't because I was worried about messing up the paper.  I then put the initial sticker I wanted to use on my disc.


I wanted to embellish the pendant further, so I got out some cabochons that I purchased from Pick Your Plum.  I placed a few on the pendant until I liked the placement.


I put a little Dimensional Magic where I wanted my flowers and placed the flowers on top of the Dimensional Magic.  Then I covered the rest of the pendant with the Dimensional Magic.  Make sure your pendant is on a flat surface for this, and let the pendant dry for the required amount of time the directions call for.  Also, start squeezing the product on a scrap piece of paper because normally a bubble is the first thing to come out of the tip.  You don't want bubbles!  If you happen to end up with some bubbles, sometimes you can pop them with a straight pin, but it's tough.  So it's better to not have any at all!  Then the only thing left is attaching the jewelry hardware.


I cut two pieces of chain to nine inches each.  (Of course, cut your chain to whatever length you desire.)  I attached each piece of chain to the pendant with jump rings, then attached a jump ring and clasp to the end of the chains.  My personalized gift was then complete!


I love how the Dimensional Magic gives the pendant a "professional" look.


And the cabochons give the pendant a bit of a 3D look.


I think my favorite thing about this project is the versatility of it.  You can create so many different looks following the tutorial and just switching out the paper and sticker.  You could use a sticker of a cameo to create a classy cameo pendant.  The possibilities are endless!  
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. So pretty! What beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this necklace what a great idea, something else to add to my long list of things i would love to try thanks for a great post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love your projects and tutorials. This necklace is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the necklace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very pretty and what a great gift it makes - I wouldn't mind a gift like this, hint, hint - just kidding! The necklace is very pretty and your creativeness inspiring! So glad you shared your creative inspiration with Sunday's Best - you helped to make it a great partay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! This definitely would be a great gift idea and I love how it has the two chains on it.
    www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully done. It really does have a very professional feel. I had never heard of dimensional magic before. Now, you are the kind of crafter, I'd love to have as a friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! I know she really appreciated the gift. Wonderful tutorial also. Thanks for joining me at Totally Transformed Tuesday! I'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Great use of those PYP flowers! I have a bunch too :)
    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great project! I love dimensional Mod Podge. I think it gives a resin look without all the mixing hassle. If you're ever looking for a new place to share your creative projects, come over to Etcetorize. Party is still on and I'd love to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really a cute necklace. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally diggin' this necklace Bethany!! You ROCK!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer... From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally missed this post too! This is too cute! I'm definitely finding some of those flowers. I stopped by to tell you I have two awards for you over on the blog today. :) http://www.hubbymademe.com/blog-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Bethany, I love your necklace and featured you at Totally Transformed Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. daaaaaaaarling! I love em! wanted to find ya on pinterest but clicking on your p link gives an error - how would I find ya over there?

    NORTHERN COTTAGE {http://www.NorthernCottage.net}

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)