Thursday, June 14, 2012

{Upscale Summer Popsicle Stick Art}

A while back, Rachel from Lines Across emailed me about being a part of a fun series for the month of June called the Craft Stash Bash.  
I was excited because I have a huge craft supply hoard stash!  (Y'all know I recently made over my craft room because my stash was getting out of hand!)  When thinking of a project to do that utilized my stash, I stumbled upon the cutest popsicle stick art on Pinterest.  I have lots of canvases and popsicle sticks, so I was inspired to make my own popsicle stick art.


I first laid out the popsicle sticks on the canvas, creating a pattern that I liked.  I had to cut off the ends of the sticks to make them fit together almost like hardwood flooring.


I didn't want the wooden sticks to look new and perfect, so I boiled some tea bags.  I know that sounds totally random, but it's not!  I wanted to use the tea to "stain" the wood.  I didn't have any wood stain, and this project was about using my stash, not adding more to it.


I placed all the popsicle sticks in a glass jar and poured the tea over them.  I let the sticks soak for a bit.  While they were soaking, I painted my canvas.  I used three different shades of brown to create a wood look.  (The wood look wasn't really necessary because the wooden sticks ended up fitting together pretty closely in the end.)  


After I had let the popsicle sticks soak for a while, I took them out of the tea and let them dry on a paper towel.  Then it was time to attempt to put my popsicle stick puzzle back together.  After I recreated the "pattern," I glued the sticks down with hot glue.  Then I had a cool looking wooden canvas, but I had no idea what to put on it!  What did I do?  I went to Poets.org!  I just started browsing through some poems written by some of my favorite poets, and I found the perfect poem by E. E. Cummings called "maggie and milly and molly and may."  The poem is about four little girls going to the ocean and finding different treasures, and since it's almost summertime, the last two lines spoke to me: "for whatever we lose (like a you or a me) / it's always ourselves we find in the sea."  (Please excuse my English teacher nerdiness.) I decided to use the last line on my wooden-stick-covered canvas.


I used my Silhouette to cut stencils of a wave and the quote from contact paper.  I used a brush and a tiny bit of paint to stencil the different elements on the popsicle sticks.  Then I had to finish the edges of the canvas.  I chose to use something else from my craft stash: thin rope.


I wrapped the rope around the edges of the canvas and attached it with hot glue.  Not only is my craft stash a little smaller now, but I also have a unique, summer-inspired piece of art!


I love the rustic, somewhat nautical look of the piece!


I think my favorite part of it is the rope-covered edge.


I also like how the wooden sticks got a little warped from being in the tea bath.


The piece looks perfect paired with my apothecary jar of shells that I've collected from different beach trips.  I hope this has inspired you to start using some of your craft stash.  I'm so glad that Rachel invited me to be a part of the bash so that I could get rid of some of mine!  The Craft Stash Bash will continue throughout the month of June, so take a minute to check out Lines Across and all the stash-utilizing ideas from some very talented bloggers!
Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is absolutely stunning! I want to make one just like yours! I'm loving the saying and the rope edges and especially the tea stained popscicle sticks! We're still in school over here, but summer is coming! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Cute! It's like a little pallet art sign! You are very creative...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How stinkin' adorable is this? I love that you used the tea to dye the sticks, great idea! BTW, I am an e. e. cummings fan as well, so good call on the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cool!!!! Love it and it has given me food for thought....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful!! So glad you linked this to Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The moment I saw this I knew I had to make it! I had most of the supplies in my craft bin, and now I'm almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My Genius! I love love love this idea! Everything about it is perfect. Thanks so much for sharing at this week's BFF Open House.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bethany, just wanted to let you know I featured this as part of my link party wrap up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! You know I heart beachy things! Way to use your stash, girl. Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so very cute and we love the quote! We appreciate you linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". Hope you'll come back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  11. What perfect words on a very fun project! I have to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bethany this is awesome!!! You are so talented. Love it!
    Janiene

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! What a fun project. The tea staining and thin rope edge makes the whole thing really come together. I am going to reccoment this post to a blogger friend of mine over at oceansidedaydreams dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE IT! I have made some also - I've only gone as big as 5x7. Love what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Just stumbled across your blog and I am hooked! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a terrific bit of coastal art you've created for summer! Clever in every way!!
    Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday Party!
    Wishing you An Extraordinary Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I love that e. e. cummings poem. When I taught freshman English, I used it during our poetry unit. It was always a fave! And of course, I love how you took popsicle sticks and made them look so chic. The rope around the edges is a really nice touch, too! Brava.

    Warmly,
    Lauren
    The Thinking Closet

    ReplyDelete
  18. This turned out so great! Pinning this to my "nautical" themed Pinterest board! I also tried U-Create's tutorial last Summer and loved it! (And I love how you finished off the edges too with the rope!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey girlfriend! Love your sign! It totally made it into my Looksi Curated Collection for this month-I chose beach/nautical themed decor and crafts. I'm also featuring all of the submissions I sent to Looksi in the collection in a round up on my site next week. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)