Wednesday, May 9, 2012

{Striped, Embellished Frame}

I want to share with you how I created a striped embellished frame to go in my newly redecorated craft room.  (This was originally a guest post featured on The Project Queen.)


I am a craft supply hoarder.  I buy frames (and every other imaginable craft supply) even when I don't need them.  I tell myself that this is because I live forty five minutes from a craft store, but I don't know if that is necessarily true.  It may just be an addiction...  Anyway, when I got ready to decorate a wall in my craft room, I first looked at the supplies I already had, and I found an unfinished wood frame I had bought from Walmart a long time ago.


I first painted the frame a pretty turquoise color.  If you remember, my craft room is gray, and my two accent colors are turquoise and pink, so I knew the paint color would help make this plain frame the perfect new accessory for my wall.  After I painted the frame, I used painter's tape to tape off stripes.  You can measure to create perfect stripes, but I just eyeballed it.


I used a stencil brush to apply the paint between the tape lines.  My brush was not heavily loaded with paint because I didn't want the paint to seep under the tape.  Once the stripes were dry, I sanded the frame really well to distress it.  Then I decided I needed another color stripe on the frame.  I followed the same steps above to create white stripes.  


After everything was dry, I sprayed the frame with a clear coat to protect it.  Then it was time for the fun!  I always say that I think more is more, so I used various felt and fabric flowers, buttons, rhinestones, and even vintage earrings to create an embellishment on the corner of the frame.


The frame didn't come with glass or a back, so I purchased a 5x7 frame from the dollar store and used the glass and back from it in the frame.  I simply used tape to keep everything in the frame, but you could definitely use something a bit more permanent.  I put a picture of my mom, sister, and me in the frame, and then my masterpiece was complete!


I really like the color combination.


And I love how the distressed paint balances out the girly-ness of the frame.  At least I think it does...


But, of course, my favorite part of the frame is the girly embellishment in the corner.


It's the perfect frame for a special photo, and it goes really well with my new-to-me lamp!  A quick update on the craft room: I should be able to post the BIG REVEAL this weekend!  I'm so excited!!!  :)
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I like it! :) The embellishments stand out more with the distressed paint. Very cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it! I am a craft supply hoarder also! I used to scrapbook every weekend. Sadly, I have not made a single scrapbook page in over a year. I need to get back to crafting - Great job on this frame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again another great post! I love the oink and turqoise together. In my bedroom I have brown and turqiose (http://trixih.blogspot.no/2012/06/bedroom-reveal.html) and now I really want to add a lot of pink as well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)