Saturday, March 24, 2012

{A Wood Sign & a Hall Tree}

Lately, I have been working on items to use when I redecorate my craft room.  I haven't started the decorating process yet because I have to clean and organize the room first, and that is going to be quite an undertaking that I haven't worked up the courage for yet.  But anyway, I wanted to create some art to go on the wall whenever I finally do get to the actual decorating part.  I decided to make a wooden sign utilizing a quote I love.


I have made signs before, but this tutorial I found from Gail of My Repurposed Life seriously changed my sign-making life.  Her tutorial teaches you how to use a Silhouette and contact paper to create stencils that will make professional looking signs.  I have used her technique several times, and every time, I have loved the results.  To make my sign, I cut a 12" piece of a 1x10 pine board.  Using contact paper and my Silhouette, I created a stencil of the Bertrand Russell quote.  (Check out Gail's tutorial for the settings you should use for cutting contact paper and how to line up the words perfectly.)


I applied the stencil to my unpainted board because I wanted my letters to be wood and not painted.


I sprayed the board with gray Krylon spray paint.  I wanted a design to be on the board, so I used my Silhouette to create a chevron stencil.  (During Valentine's, Silhouette's free shape of the week was a chevron heart.  I simply enlarged the heart so that I could use the pattern inside of it as a large, all-over chevron pattern.)  I applied the chevron stencil on top of the gray board that still had the letter stencils on it.


I then sprayed the sign with Valspar's turquoise spray paint.  After the board dried, I peeled off all the stencils, distressed the edges, and covered the sign with a few coats of polycrylic.  Now I have the perfect sign for my craft room.


This quote reminds me that it's okay to craft and blog.  It's not a waste of time if it's something that I enjoy. Who cares if my house is not always perfectly clean?  On my death bed, I doubt that one of my last thoughts is going to be, "Man, I sure wish I had been a better housekeeper."


I love the juxtaposition of the natural wood letters with the painted chevron background.  (I hope some of my English II students read this and see that I actually used one of their vocabulary words for the week--juxtapose--in a sentence correctly!)  The color combo is something I'm really in love with right now too.  I wish I could skip the cleaning and organizing of the craft room and jump straight to the decorating!  Oh, well...


And before I go, I want to share with y'all another project I used this technique on.  My cousin wanted a hall tree for her apartment.  Her mother-in-law found one that needed a little TLC.  It needed refinishing, and the top of the piece was supposed to have a mirror, but it was broken.  So she and my aunt wanted to know if I had an idea of what to do with the top.  I decided to use Gail's stencil technique to create subway art to fill the void.  My cousin wanted "You Are My Sunshine," so I did my own version of Gail's sign.


I painted the masonite backboard with primer and then a dark chocolate, painstakingly applied all the words, painted over them with beige, and stenciled a pretty green quatrefoil design over all of it before peeling off all the stencils.  My aunt, my cousin, and her MiL love it!


Her MiL did a great job refinishing the piece.  And she and her husband actually created a track that the sign slides in so that it can be taken out and replaced with other signs seasonally.  Isn't that a great idea?  I seriously doubt anyone has a hall tree as unique as this!  Well, except for you after you see this and make your own...  :)  Happy crafting!
Photobucket

33 comments:

  1. great post! I love the chevrons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow.. I'm in love with this wood art!! Thanks for sharing.

    Found you on TT & J and would love for you to come by join us on our linky party and link this up! :)

    http://www.littleinspiration.com/2012/03/create-inspire-party-features_23.html

    Thanks!!!

    Angie from ALI

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I need to get a silohette. Everyone says they are so much easier to use than the old pencil to the back of the paper trick. I'd love it if you linked this up this week at Whimsy Wednesdays at www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/03/whimsy-wednesdays-4.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays. I love the colors!

      Delete
  4. Great projects for sure! I love your take on the You are My Sunshine, and the chevron on the sign, really makes it!
    I'm happy that you found my tutorial helpful. :) I haven't made a sign in quite a while, think it's time to get out the wood, paint, and Silhouette!
    thanks for linking to my blog, I appreciate it.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so incredibly talented! Your projects blow me away! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy I do really like that hall tree! What a GREAT idea!
    I really like Gail and her posts just as much as you do!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a good saying! You did such a good job on the sign too. I think you have a great blog. I'm a new follower. I would love it if you could come stop by my new blog. @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    You can link up to my Sunday party while you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this. Great technique on the sign.

    Jani
    papercompulsions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! love this! Pinning this for later & sharing to my Wildflowers & Whimsy's Facebook page ! Thanks for linking to Sew Crafty Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love both signs!! that hall tree is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks really great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this, especially the saying you used :)
    Feel free to share this in my link party! http://toastiestudio.blogspot.com/2012/03/made-monday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Bethany.... AGAIN... beautiful!!! I love everything you create!!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, thanks so much for sharing the tutorial, don't have a silhouette yet but on my wish list. I like the idea of the contact paper, pretty economical. Love your signs and the chevron behind it. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely quotes and tutorial! :) Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to ask...what font did you use in the bottom line "wasted time"? I LOVE this!! My hubby always tells me if I didn't waste so much time I could get more done! I can't wait to make and hang this!
    ps...I've been using contact paper since I got my Silhouette! I used it on this: http://mimismumblings.blogspot.com/2012/03/dresser-complete.html and it turned out perfect!
    Thanks for sharing your sign!! I can't wait!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thankyou for sharing the "You are my sunshine" idea!! I just spent an hour browsing at all the different signs on Etsy! lol There's so many and they're all so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the sign...and the quote!

    Thank you for linking up to A Pinteresting Party! :) Hope to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your sign. I am really anxious to try one of these. I'm glad I found your blog at The Shady Porch party. I'm a new follower too, so I can keep in touch. I would love if you stopped by and followed back on LF and GFC. Nice to meet you, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely pieces!! Glad to have you at Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So lovely and I will definitely be using that quote. I already hung up a constant reminder for my crafting ADD - "finished is better than perfect" right above the craft room door. I never thought to use the chevron background from another Silhouette shape that I already own. My next stop will be Gail's tips that you recommend.

    Pinning!

    Claire @ alittlesomethinginthemeantime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great signs!!I especially like the one about wasting time!!
    Thanks so much fpr your visit!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for linking up this project...
    Would love you to stop by and link up another fabulous project!!!
    http://polkadot-pretties.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/you-inspire-linky-party_31.html
    Claire xox

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Bethany, these are fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this! You've been featured on Sunday round up, come on over to grab a featured button! http://www.kaylascreationsblog.com/2012/03/sunday-round-up-3.html
    -Kayla :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. As always Bethany I love your projects. I love the saying on this board.
    Thanks for linking up at SweetTalkin' Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this! I'm always looking for ways to use my Silhoutte. I am going to have to check out Gail's tutorial. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks again for your inspiration! I made one for myself! www.mimismumblings.com
    I can't wait to hang it up! I swear these words were written for me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this! The chevron and the colors are great! So pretty

    Thanks for linking up to my party last week! I am sharing this on my facebook and twitter.. be sure to grab a button! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. After painting the wood and making sure you apply more than one coat, and letting them to dry, you can then apply wood sealer. This will further prolong the life of the wood signs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. One thing I use when creating wood signs is a wood stain instead of instead of the chevron. It gives a nice rustic look to the wood which I love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)