Monday, January 2, 2012

{Thrift Frame Revamp}

This is my first post of 2012...Wow...2012.  Each year that passes starts to sound more and more like a year used for a Sci-Fi movie set in the future.  But I digress.  :)  Today I want to share with y'all how I took an old metal frame purchased from the thrift store for $1 and turned it into a beautiful piece of art.   This is part one of a three part series I'm doing... 


I have a bad/good (depending on who you ask) habit of stopping by the thrift store on the way home from work.  I always head straight to the home goods section of the store, and more often than not, I find a treasure that I can't leave without.  Sure, it may look crusty or old to most people, but I always see what it can become instead of what it is now.  (I guess that outlook helps me in my job as a teacher too!)  So I saw this frame (along with the other pieces that you will see in later posts), and I knew I had to buy it!


Yeah, it's gold, and yeah, it's kind of ugly, but it's nothing a coat of spray paint can't fix!  I decided to try out Krylon's Dual (a paint and primer in one) in white.


I decided before beginning the project that this was going to be a gift for a coworker's newborn.  The cutie's name starts with a K, so I bought a wooden K from Michael's and sprayed with with Krylon's watermelon spray paint and then Glitter Blast in pink.

 

While waiting on the paint to dry, I started working on the glass.  I cut scrapbook paper to the size of the glass and got out my Mod Podge.


I cleaned the glass really well and covered it with a layer of Mod Podge.  Then I applied the paper to the glass.  I wanted the paper to add a design element to the paper, so I used my Silhouette to cut a frame out of coordinating scrapbook paper.


I covered the scrapbook paper with Mod Podge and applied the frame.  When that was dry, I covered the whole thing with another coat of Mod Podge to seal it.  After the Mod Podge was dry, it was time to attach the letter to the paper-covered glass.


I used Gorilla Glue because Kimberly from Simply Living did a project a lot like this, and it's the glue she used.  But I have to be really careful when I use that stuff!  The bottle is not lying when it says that the glue expands when drying.  So I used a TINY bit and kept checking to make sure the glue wasn't leaking out from behind the letter.  When I saw any leakage, I removed it with a damp paper towel.  This is the almost finished product.

I distressed the paint on the frame a bit with sand paper.  I don't like anything to look too perfect.  The first time the frame gets knocked around, the paint will be chipping.  So why not make it look chippy to begin with?  Then it will never look messed up. ;)

After looking at the frame for a day, I decided it looked a bit too grown for a newborn.  I tied a bow with some pink satin ribbon and used Fray Check on the cut ends.


I attached the bow to the frame using hot glue.


The thrift store $1 frame started out a bit shabby, but now it is totally chic!


I think my coworker will love it, and it will look great in her new baby's nursery.


So on your way home from work today, maybe you should stop by the thrift store.... :)

Photobucket

26 comments:

  1. That's so cute, I'm sure she will LOVE it!! I too head straight for the picture frames and home goods section at the thrift store. One of my favorite things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO CUTE! Love everything about it! I have an obsession with the thrift store too, it's so fun turning old stuff into new! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bethany, I pinned this it's so cute! I love the thrift store and you rocked this frame! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Visiting from Sunday's Best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these frames and I snatch them up when I find them too! They paint so beautifully and your project is just too sweet. Hope you are having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Bethany

    Lovely picture frame revamp. Love the colors.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bethany, you did a great job on the picture frame. It looks beautiful, I love it. I'm sure your coworker will be thrilled. I love the thrift store too and always head to the houswares as well. Thanks for visiting and following I'm so thrilled to make a new blog friend. Following you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I LOVE the ribbon! What a sweet gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how cute, I love the colors. Once again you've done a great job.
    gulledjr@dhec.sc.gov

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! {Not So} Tough Tuesday's is still up til midnight tonight! I'd love for you to link up! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is adorable! What a great gift for a baby's room! I would love for you to link up to our party! http://herestohandyandy.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party-week-20.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous! It would look divine on SpecialK's wall too. I hope twenty twelve is everything you wish for and more. Thank you so much for sharing. I will follow on my way out so I can revisit. I hope you can find the time to come visit me and do the same. I look forward to engaging more this year. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another great poject, pink and green are such great colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out so cute! I love decorating with initials! I'm your newest follower from the 36th Avenue party. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & follow along too!
    Sally
    loveofhomes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for joining my linky party! This post rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It really turned out cute, after you painted the frame you never would of guest it is a $1 frame. I really like your colors, green, pink and white. Very pretty together. I've got to get a Silhouette! Thanks for the inspiration and Thanks so much for sharing over at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so gorgeous! Great job! Thanks for linking up Show & Share, happy to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great find and what a beautiful transformation!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it, I know your friend will love it in her new baby's room, too! It's just beautiful, love the colors. I found your link at The Answer is Chocolate. Hugs ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it! Thanks for linking up! Check out my giveaway....


    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  21. I adore it! I didn't realize the Glitter Blast was so even and perfect. I will have to remember this for my girls' rooms. Thanks so much for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Guess what? I featured you again! What can I say.. you do great work! Thank you so much for linking this awesome revamp.. hope to see ya again tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks great! I have never heard of the Glitter Blast before, sounds so much easier than when I glued and glittered a big K for my daughters bday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute idea!! It turned out fabulous! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adorable! That pink glitter blast made a BIG impact!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)