Sunday, November 6, 2011

Gift Box Ornaments

I know it's not Christmas yet.  I know Thanksgiving hasn't even come and gone yet.  BUT if a girl doesn't get her Christmas crafting done early, it just won't get done!  So please don't be angry with me for posting about a Christmas project.  Just look at it this way: I'm posting this tutorial in time for you to make a whole tree of my...
I love making crafts that use items I already have around the house that may otherwise be thrown in the trash.  I had a small gift box just sitting around.  It was the size that earrings or a bracelet go in.  I thought it looked like the perfect size for an ornament.  
I had some little Christmas-y miniature things I bought from Michaels that I thought would be the right size for the gift box.  I pittered and glinked and came up with what I think is a pretty cute ornament.  Here's what you have to do to make one.

Trace the gift box (you can use the top or bottom of the box) onto scrapbook paper.  You need to trace a the bottom of the box twice: once for the outside and once for the inside.  Do the same for the sides.  
 You want to cover the whole box with paper.  I used two different patterns.
Cut out the traced pieces.  (The side pieces for the inside of the box are missing in the above photo.)
Before you cover the box with paper, you may need to straighten some of the sides.  If the gift box has been used before, it may have a side that's a bit crooked.  Mine did.  So I cut a popsicle stick to fit in the box and hot glued it to straighten up the side.  When your box is straight, Mod Podge the paper to the box.
If you're doing a snow scene like I did, you don't need to cover the inside bottom edge of the box with paper.  You can cover it with GLITTER!!!  Just cover the bottom inside edge of the box with Mod Podge and sprinkle glitter over it.
 You can use any other embellishments you want.  I cut a small popsicle stick to look like a banner.  I painted it with pearl paint and stamped a design on it.  I hot glued it and my miniatures to the inside of the box.
Of course, you have to have something to hang your ornament with.  I simply took some string, folded it in a loop, knotted it, and threaded the loop through a bead.  I hot glued the bead to the top of the box.  You'll need to cover the edges of the box with something unless you covered them with paper.  I used tiny ric-rac to cover the edges of my box.
Check out the finished ornament!
Isn't the snowman just adorable?!
 Here it is on a tree.  (No, I don't have my Christmas tree up already.  I wouldn't mind if I did, though...)
And just so the other half of the box didn't go to waste... 
I used the other half of the box to make a super-girly ornament.  I made it the same way.  I put sparkly yarn around the inside edges of this one, and I used something like glue dots to make the silhouette stand out from the back.
If I had a little girl, I would have used a picture of her to make a silhouette for the ornament.  Wouldn't that be cute?
Here's one last look at the two ornaments.  Don't throw those small gift boxes away when you get them.  Save them to pitter and glink your tree! :)

16 comments:

  1. These are super cute! I'd love it if you shared them at my Christmas Craft Tutorial Party going on at Project Queen during the month of November. Here is the link:http://projectqueen.org/christmas-craft-tutorial-link-up-party
    Hope to see you there. I have provided a button also and I would love it if you posted it on your blog to spread the word. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea! Way to upcycle something that just sits around otherwise. Would you pleeeeease share this at my holiday party?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/11/our-home-for-holidays-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea and I love how it's adaptable to any theme. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That theme of Christmas is gorgeous. I used this same theme on last Christmas with lots of stars, sparkles stone, colourful stones, penguins and Christmas tree also with a big Santa-clause.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those turned out sooo cute! Great re-purpose and of course, love the glitter. Thanks for sharing at Sunday's Best =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some of the cutest ornaments ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, I'm making this! They adorable and CUTE! Never have I seen ornaments like this, so not only cute, but one of a kind. I love that little snow banner. Thanks so much for liking my French Coffee Lamp and partaking in Sunday' Best Party. Always look forward to seeing what you've been up too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute idea... I'm sure I'll try a few for gifts! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your ornaments are adorable! My girls would love the barbie silhoutte! I found you through Everything Under the Moon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great repurposing idea. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday!


    Melanie
    Sew Rugged @ bear rabbit bear
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea, thanks for sharing! Great upcycle - I happen to have lots of little boxes lying around so I'll have to try making a few.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for linking up to our party show and share #13. come back this week.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of yellow
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! Way cute!! I'm featuring them tomorrow in this week's Show & Share! Hope you'll come grab a button!
    Also, next Monday I'm cohosting A Special Christmas Soiree that this would great linked up at!! Hope you'll check it out!
    vintagegwen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. So awesome and adorable..These are soo pretty..Love LOVE..I have a Pin Inspirational party happening today I'll love for you to link this too please :)) TY http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/pininspirational-thursday.html ..Wishing you an awesome day..M

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous vignettes. So glad you could join us at Pin'Inspiration Thursday.

    Happy new follower :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)