Saturday, November 19, 2011

{Embroidery Hoop Snowman}

I am back from a very busy week to share a very fun Christmas craft with you.  It's my...


This little man is an early birthday gift for my mom.  I'm going to give it to her this afternoon, and I know she will love it!!!  To make it, I started with three embroidery hoops (5", 8", and 10"), white fabric, and embroidery floss.


I placed each hoop on the fabric and cut the fabric about two inches larger than the hoop.  I placed the fabric in the hoop as you would normally do, and then I glued the fabric around the back of the hoop to make sure it didn't slip.  I then cut the excess fabric off.


After I had the hoops ready for decorating, I used felt, thread, hot glue, and buttons to create the snowman's face.  I used a blanket stitch to attach the felt, and because the buttons were rather tiny, I hot glued them to the fabric rather than trying to do all that sewing.  (I get easily annoyed when sewing by hand!)  I sewed three larger buttons to the snowman's belly.  Because they were bigger, you would have been able to tell there was no thread in the holes if I had glued them.


Then it was time to make the little guy a hat.  I considered making him a toboggan, but any self-respecting snowman won't go out of his house without a top hat, so a top hat it had to be!  I cut the hat pieces out of recycled cardboard (a toilet paper tube and a snack box).  I used Mod Podge and hot glue to cover the pieces with felt.  Then I glued them together.


There were some places where the cardboard was peeking through the felt, so I just painted those places with black acrylic paint.  I added a red glittery felt band, two glittery leaves, and a red sparkly pom pom to finish off the hat.


I attached the hat to the snowman's head with hot glue.  I made the face so that the embroidery hoop hardware would be covered by the hat, so I had to cut a slit in the bottom of the hat so it would slide over the hardware.  I should have done that before gluing down the felt, but oh well.


I glued some branches to the back of the middle hoop to create arms.


I glued all the hoops together using hot glue and gorilla wood glue.  I made a felt scarf for the little man, and then he was presentable! ;)
Here he is on my front door.


Here he is hanging out on the porch.


Here's a close up of his cute as a button face.


I had taken another photo of him, and he looked really serious, as if he were dreaming of his lady love.  So I had to Picnik the photo up a bit to truly capture the emotion.


I'm not really sure why I wasted time I can never get back editing the above photo....  But I hope you don't feel like you wasted your time viewing this tutorial.  The project was fun to make and inexpensive, which hopefully encourages you to make your own embroidery hoop snowman! :)
Photobucket

34 comments:

  1. Very cute - I would love it if you would check out my new Christmas link up on Monday. He is absolute perfect.

    http://twelvecraftsofchristmas.blogspot.com

    Hope to see you there.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love his little hat and scarf. Pinned for later. Following from Think Pink Sundays

    http://chickenscratchny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your snowman! I also love your gorgeous pictures. Great post!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! What a talent! Thanks for sharing these fun crafts.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab idea. great tutorial xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok seriously that is too cute. In the last few weeks I've been buying hoops at thrift stores all sizes. but I never would of thought of this. You sure are good at crafting, and imaginative. Wishing you a Happy thanksgiving. Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! I love his hat! If you get a chance I would love for you to share this at my party, The Creative Spark. Pinning this!
    Jenn :)
    www.cleanandscentsible.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute snowman! You could use just 2 hoops instead of 3 as well...it would be just as cute. Isn't crazy how much time we spend editing our pics! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness. I have got to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How adorable is that? I love it!! I always leave all my snowman decor out through January so I get extra use out of it. I'll have to be making me one of these.
    Rachel
    adventuresofdiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. he is so so cute! I'd love it if you would add this to my party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! May have to make one myself. Thanks so much for sharing at Sunday's Best =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OHHH I just want him!! SOO cute!

    Would LOVE for you to stop by and link up to our "Home For The Holidays" link party! ;)

    http://www.uncommondesignsonline.com/2011/11/home-for-holidays-link-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just want to let you know you were featured today. Feel free to stop by and pick up a button. =)
    http://www.oasisaccents.com/sundays-best-features/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sooooo cute!! He can just go right on through January. My momma would love one, too! She said that a snowman is the only man that doesn't break your heart. ;)
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is just adorable!! Saw you at Tater Tots & Jello.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! Thanks for linking up! I shared on Facebook, too :)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-Tough-Mother/245624558819276

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is SOOOO cute. I think I'm gonna have to make this one! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your snowman is so cute! I love how you made the little hat, so clever.

    I'd love for you to link this up to my Christmas themed link party! http://afishwholikesflowers.blogspot.com/2011/11/help-save-my-christmas-spirit.html

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so adorable. I love embroidery hoop projects and this little snow man is so cute. All the details are perfect. You are being featured this week at Lines Across My Face.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Rachel
    http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/2011/11/cure-for-common-monday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super cute! So glad you linked up with us!

    Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi!

    I featured this cutie on my blog! Thank you for linking up!

    Have a great night!
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Bethany, what an adorable Snowman. You did a wonderful job and thanks for sharing how to make one for ourselves. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a creative, original Christmas project! I'm definitely putting a pin in this one. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a creative idea! I made one for myself and featured you on our blog! http://3flygirlz.blogspot.com/2011/12/cross-stich-hoop-snowman.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. joli bonhomme de neige! Avec une idée très originale d occuper les tambours de broderie!

    Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your snowman is so cute. I did the same idea a few weeks ago too without having seen yours yet. I found your snowman, which is way better than mine by the way, searching on Pinterest. WOW. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm so in love with this project! I wouldn't of thought of this! What a super idea! I think you snowman is so so sweet!

    I'm your newest follower! Stop on by sometime. I have a weekly linky party called Terrific Under Ten Tuesdays. It's for projects made for $10 or less. I would love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. He's adorable! I so want to make one! Do I have time for one more project? Hmm...Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Absolutely LOVE this!! So, so cute :)

    I also wanted to let you know that I featured you on my blog today: http://www.artsyfartsymama.com/2012/11/pinteresting-features-n-shtuff-58.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just got so excited when I saw this ADORABLE snowman! I picked up some embroidery hoops at a garage sale a few weeks ago (a whole bag full for a dollar) and this is the perfect project for them! Thanks so much for the inspiration! So so so cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to leave an awesome comment! :)